Saturday, September 24, 2011

Just be yourself

I had a long chat with a friend last night as she was getting depressed with work and life. Despite the weekend being just round the corner, she was feeling out of sorts and simply disinterested in everything. In a modern fast-paced society like Singapore, depression is something real and I believe it affects almost everyone at some point in time of varying extent. Further chatting revealed that she was feeling down because she couldn't keep up with the never-ending work expectations and suspected that it could be due to her incompetence. She felt that there were others in her office whom were doing lesser but getting the recognition that she should rightfully deserve as it was her effort. This feeling of injustice led her to question her sense of self worth. Having seen her at work before, I assured her that indeed she was doing excellent job but failure to get her due reward and recognition was purely political. There was no point making herself miserable as it is simply impossible to please everyone - what matters more is to stay true to herself and her values. She agreed as what goes around, comes around and eventually those who do wrong to others will get their just deserts.

Jim Croce - I Got a Name
Like the pine trees lining the winding road, I've got a name, I've got a name
Like the singing bird and the croaking toad, I've got a name, I've got a name
And I carry it with me like my daddy did
But I'm living the dream that he kept hid
Moving me down the highway, rolling me down the highway
Moving ahead so life won't pass me by

Like the North wind whistling down the sky, I've got a song, I've got a song
Like the whip-poor-will and the babies crying, I've got a song, I've got a song
And I carry it with me and I sing it loud
If it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud
Moving me down the highway, rolling me down the highway
Moving ahead so life won't pass me by

And I'm gonna go there free,
Like the fool I am and I'll always be, I've got a dream, I've got a dream
They can change their minds but they can't change me, I've got a dream, I've got a dream
I know I could share it if you want me to, if you're going my way I'll go with you
Moving me down the highway, rolling me down the highway
Moving ahead so life won't pass me by

No comments: