Monday, May 27, 2019

I could do with one less meal

I could do with one less meal - I really could. As I aged (or a less negative way of saying it is, as I progressed in life), my job evolved to be less physically taxing, that is, it became more office desk-bound. I used to be more physically active early in my career, always excited to learn more by doing more. Not to say that being older, I have lost the passion to learn - I still love learning but the stuff I learn these days require more critical thinking and less running around. My metabolism was much higher when I was younger (also due the more active lifestyle I led) and I ate more. Now that I'm older, I don't really eat as much and sometimes when I eat more (especially during celebrations), I end up growing a tummy which is both unsightly and bad for my health.

My friend who is a nurse, has a physically demanding job of taking care of the sick. Daily she helps patients move from place to place in a hospital - sometimes even lifting them to get into a bed or wheelchair. She attends to their needs, performing clinical tests and ensuring they have their meals and medication. To make matters worse, she is a single mom. When she gets home, she has an aging mother and 2 kids to care for. Being a single mother is tough, she does the housework and ensures that her family has food to eat and their needs are well taken care of. She doesn't compromise and gives so much love to her mother and 2 kids. She always gives them the best that she can offer. Whenever she's off, she would even take them out and give them a nice treat. Even when she's feeling so drained, she would pull herself up from the exhaustion, so that they can all have a good time.

Making ends meet is tough especially with 2 growing kids and a mother who has medical bills to pay. Due to the nature of her job, she sometimes rushes around so much that she skips meals or just munch on a few biscuits and carry on. She treats it like saving money so that she can spend on treats for her family! Here I am spending my money on fancy food that potentially harms my body while someone I know, who really needs the nourishment, is skipping meals due to tight monetary budget. Such is the inequality of life.

From young, my grandfather instilled in me the feeling of guilt whenever I wasted food. Now I get the feeling of sadness when I think of my friend and many others that could be like her. Yet it's no hidden truth that there are many affluent people (especially in Singapore) who wouldn't bat an eyelid when splurging on fancy meals only to waste copious amounts of the good stuff when they are served. With the prevalence of social media it gets worse; many people pay good dollar for interesting cuisines that they can boast to others on Instagram or whatever trending platform - whether they truly appreciate the food is another matter. Food has evolved into a vanity.

I am a blessed person who always has nice food to eat; and these days since I know I don't consume as much, I would just order only what I can finish. Sometimes I get the feeling if I could somehow magically transfer my meal to someone in need like my friend, I gladly would. I could do with one less meal - I really could.

No comments: