Monday, June 01, 2015

quod scripsi, scripsi

The title is the famous latin quote (meaning what I have written, I have written) from the Bible (John 19:22) of Pontius Pilate when the chief priests protested when he wrote "iesus nazarenus rex iudaeorum" (which meant Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews) before Jesus was brought out to be crucified. I was going through some of the past blog entries since the beginning - at a time when the idea of blogging was new and slowly as time passed, new platforms of social media were introduced. Up to the point when I had taken a deliberate break from blogging, I have been contemplating the fate of this blog. Some years before 2011, I had experimented embedding Youtube videos but in case, you were wondering, I have begun removing the videos from past entries as some led to dead links and simply because I decided that for the blog to continue its existence, it shall return to its roots of just being pure words. Just prior to the break, I had experimented with Twitter but it definitely didn't suit my style as it's really just random anecdotes that do not qualify themselves well enough i.e. giving a somewhat incomplete picture.

So why the sudden revival of the blog? What has happened since then? It makes more chronological sense to answer the second question first: I took a break off blogging as I was pursuing a Masters degree. Though I had graduated long ago, it seemed more appropriate to observe the evolution of social media especially in Singapore - many companies began engaging customers on social media platforms, many customers similarly responded on this same media, some people formed organisations on these platforms too (there are those that are full time Youtube content providers and bloggers too!). So much had evolved and indeed the Internet has become an essential part of modern day people. There are friends who tell me sometimes all they hope to look for are a few nice articles about life that they can relate to instead of all the popularised virtual insanity out there. Recently a close friend even shared with me about how the power of story-telling is making its way to be a must-have course for executive leadership. It's no surprise how the art of story-telling is powerful tool of communicating ideas or concepts and has been the way Jesus and even Buddha shared the knowledge of the world via such methodology. As I age through life, many younger people have approached me for advice and whenever I shared my own life experience, they could better relate and understand. Maybe if I shared them on this blog, someone else could relate to them too? Okay, in case if you haven't noticed I have answered the first question as well. Thank you for reading!

No comments: